The patchy hair loss is associated with the Alopecia Areata, which is an autoimmune disease. The significant details including causes, symptoms and treatments of this disorder would allow the patients to get rid of the trouble.
What is Alopecia Areata Patchy?
As mentioned before, the patchy hair loss is nothing but one of the distinct types of Alopecia Areata. The sudden onset can affect any hairy part of the human body. This is a non-scarring form of alopecia where the patients have to experience smooth and round or oval-shaped bald patches of different sizes on the scalp and in accordance with the previous mention; it may harm other body parts including beard and eyelashes too.
Causes of patchy hair loss:
The patches may set in suddenly and the without notice appearance can dishearten the victims. Though the actual reason is still unknown, it is considered to be an autoimmune disorder that may occur because of the family history including the problems like type 1 diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis. According to many studies, the affected people have to face such trouble only because of the genetic susceptibility.
However, to be very precise, here, the blood cells directly target the hair follicles and damage them. Thus, the follicles start shrinking while slowing down the production rate of hair. Consequently, the follicles become dormant and stop producing hair completely.
In addition, other autoimmune conditions like thyroid or other hormonal imbalances, vitiligo along with skin irritations or allergies, viral infections can bring forth the troublesome condition. These are the chief reasons highlighted by the scientists or researchers but some studies have emphasized that emotional stress and anxiety, trauma or sudden shock, pregnancy, major surgeries can be other reasons behind the similar medical condition. These can also trigger the beginning of the patchy hair loss.
Signs and symptoms:
Basically, the patchy hair loss creates round or oval shaped patches, which are even and occur in various sizes. The development of con-sized patches starts all of a sudden but as the follicles still remain, new hair growth is possible if the inflammation gets subsided. This is the basic signs for detecting the mentioned disorder but on the other hand, the similar situation may bring forth detriments to the fingernails as well as the toenails.
Small changes may appear in this case and these can be pointed out as follows:
- Appearance of white spots
- Presence of pinpoint dents
- Nails may become rough and less shiny
- Nails can even split after becoming thin and weak
To diagnose the disorder, the doctors have to go through the past medical condition of the patient. The hair samples need to be examined under the microscope. If that’s not enough, the doctors will go for scalp biopsy or skin biopsy.
If there is a chance of other internal problems, the concerned doctor will choose some blood tests to become confirmed regarding the suspected diseases. Hormonal condition, iron level, etc. need to be judged beforehand.
Treatment and management:
A consultation is quite mandatory in that case as only the doctor can suggest the details regarding the treatment procedure.
- Medication: After detecting the disorder and analysing the severity of the situation, the doctor may prescribe minoxidil, a medicine in liquid form. It requires rubbing on the affected area to stimulate hair growth.
- Surgical process: Patients may definitely opt for the hair transplantation surgery after taking prior permission and advice from the selected doctor. It would create miracle by concealing the bald patches forever.
- Injections: Corticosteroid injections can be another option suggested by the physician. They can also ask for utilizing the goodness of corticosteroid creams or ointments.
- Radiation treatment: Photochemotherapy, a combination of medication and ultraviolet light, is also regarded as the effective way out for this condition.
- Other therapies: Vitamin supplements, aromatherapy, exercises or yoga, herbal supplements can prove to be ideal option for dealing with the critical condition like patchy hair loss.
However, for minimizing or reducing the level of discomfort, the patients are supposed to choose to scarf, wig, etc. They are also asked to apply sunscreen and wear sunglasses (if the eyelashes are affected) to protect the affected areas from the harsh rays of the sun.
Well, the efficacy of the treatments is variable. Sometimes, patients don’t even have to undergo any treatment though they get their hair back. So, it is always better to take proper idea from an experienced professional before opting for a treatment plan. Following his words would play major and vital role in tackling the condition.